Metabolic Syndrome – do you have it? Many do and don’t even know it!

If you have 3 or more of these negative health markers, then you have Metabolic Syndrome (also known as Insulin Resistance Syndrome).

1)  Central Obesity:  waist size great than 35″ for women and 40″ for men

2)  High triglycerides: greater than 150 mg/dL

3)  Low HDL cholesterol:  less than 50 mg/dL for women; less than 40 mg/dL for men

4)  Blood pressure higher than 130/85 (or being treated for high blood pressure)

5)  Fasting blood sugar (glucose) above 100 mg/dL

Having Metabolic Syndrome is a sure fire way to end up with diabetes and heart disease.  Don’t go there!

The simplest thing you can do to begin to correct this problem is to cut out the refined carbs (bread, cereal, pasta, crackers, cookies, pastries, white rice, etc).   If you have 3 or more of the above markers and these foods are a mainstay of your diet – you need to have a talk with yourself.   Now!

Until you get the above numbers under control, stick with lean proteins, tons of veggies, some fruit, beans, nuts, seeds, healthy fats.   Make sure to have some form of protein with every meal.

And if you don’t have Metabolic Syndrome you should still eat like this.   None of us need those refined carbs.  Refined carbs are what got this country into the giant health mess we’re in today.

On a lighter note:  If you can get your diet right 80% of the time, go ahead and splurge the other 20%.  Earn your splurge – follow the 80/20 rule.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: